Name: Marianne Barker
Qualifications: B.Ec., LLB, LLM, GAICD
Title: Barrister and Mediator
Organisation: Owen Dixon Chambers West
Immediation Practice Area: Mediation
I have extensive experience in all areas of intellectual property, trade practices, general commercial law and sports law. Prior to signing the Bar Roll, I was a Senior Associate at Corrs Chambers Westgarth in the Intellectual Property and Trade Practices section.
I started practicing as a Nationally Accredited mediator since 2012 during which I have written and edited problems for use at the ICC Mediation Moot Competitions held in Melbourne and Paris.
My practice as a barrister has encompassed appeals, trials and various types of interlocutory applications for orders including injunctions, civil search and seizure orders and contempt orders.
Some of my major clients included Rolex, Gap, Nike, Valentino, Caterpillar, Treasury Wines, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, Cartier, Hermes, Nokia, Rip Curl, Mambo, Australian Rugby Union, National Foods, Crazy Johns (now part of Vodafone), Hoover, Fendi, Lacoste, Vans, Viacom, Toyota, John Sands, Playgro, Rivers, Just Jeans, Adele Palmer and Bradmill.
I have also acted in mechanical and pharmaceutical patent matters for companies such as Braun, Alphapharm, Transpread International, Huhtamaki and Metallgesellschaft (now part of the GEA Group) and in allied areas such as breach of trade secrets, Crown use of IP, the IP aspects of tax appeals (R & D) and in the trade practices area she has acted in various consumer law and price fixing matters.
My sports law practice grew out of my pro-bono work for Olympic athletes which led me to my current position of President of the Taekowondo Appeals Tribunal (recently being awarded the Ian Callinan prize at the 2019 ANZLA Annual Conference The Denis Callinan Award recognises members of the Australian New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA) who render commendable community service in the field of sports law.)
- Member, Business Law Section, Law Council, Intellectual Property Section
- President, Taekwondo Appeals Tribunal
- Member, Victorian Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Member, Business Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member, Copyright Society of Australia
- Member, Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Member, International Wine Lawyers Association
- Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZLA)
I think it would be a valuable and cost-effective mediation service.
Immediation Area of Expertise
- Corporate and commercial (ACCC, Advertising, Agency, ASIC, Competition law, Consumer Protection, Contracts, Corporations, Directors’ duties, Franchising, International law, Misleading advertising, Misleading and deceptive conduct/fraud, Partnership, Sport, Unconscionable conduct)
- Government and administrative law (Civil liabilities, Customs, Judicial review and merits review, Privacy)
- Intellectual property, Information technology and media (Copyright, Defamation, Information technology, Intellectual property, Media and entertainment, Moral rights, Patents, Plant breeders’ rights, Telecommunications)
Immediation is a platform built for legal practice, hearings and dispute resolution, with best practice video conferencing fully integrated. It can be used as a stand alone app, or with mediators, arbitrators and legally trained clerks to help matters run smoothly.