Name: Emma Heuston
Qualifications: B.Arts LLB
[scheduled to receive GCert Prof Prac in Dec 2019]
Title: Founder/ Principal Lawyer
Organisation: The Remote Expert
Immediation Practice Area: Expert Determination
I am the Principal Lawyer at “The Remote Expert” a boutique law firm where I specialise in online law, remote and flexible work arrangements and policies.
I have been a lawyer for 19 years and practised extensively in Sydney plus rural and regional Australia. I have a broad range of hands on experience in property law, leasing, franchising law, wills and estates, general commercial law and online law.
I have acted for national franchising and leasing clients, large ASX listed corporations, agribusiness entities and charities during my career.
My approach to Expert Determination is informed by my business knowledge and legal background. I understand that you don't need to be present in person in order to 'get the job done', something which I experienced first hand working remotely from regional New South Wales at Partner Level for a Sydney based law firm for 4 years.
I have a commercial and conciliatory approach to negotiations in order to assist to close the gap between two disputing parties to reach a negotiated outcome and achieve a commercial resolution.
In 2018 I won the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Thought Leader of the Year award for my innovative work in the legal industry.
2019 has seen me listed as a finalist in two categories of the Australian Law Awards - “Sole Practitioner of the Year” and “Regional Law Firm of the Year”.
I joined Immediation’s Panel because I am passionate about using technology to make law work more efficiently and cost effectively.
Immediation Area(s) of Expertise
● Property Securities Register, Stamp duty)
● Corporate and commercial (Agency, Agribusiness,Automotive, Contracts, Directors’ Duties, Franchising, Partnership,Unconscionable Conduct);
● Employment, industrial relations and discrimination (Equal opportunity, Occupational Health and Safety)
● Property, construction, environment, oil, gas and mining (Commercial leasing, Franchising, Owners Corporation, Property,Residential leasing, Restrictive covenants Banking and Finance (mortgages,Personal, Retail leasing)
● Wills, estates and charities (Guardianship,Wills, estates, probate and administration)
Immediation is a platform built for legal practice, hearings and dispute resolution, with best practice video conferencing fully integrated. It can be used as a stand alone app, or with mediators, arbitrators and legally trained clerks to help matters run smoothly.