Name: Peter Megens
Qualifications: Graduate Diploma in Finance Law, Bachelor of Law (First Class Honours), Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Arbitrator
Organisation: Outlook Legal Consulting Pty Ltd
Immediation Practice Area: Arbitration, Expert Determination
I have more than 40 years of experience as a lawyer in contentious matters of all kinds, whether involving arbitration, court litigation, mediation or negotiation. I am an arbitrator and construction lawyer. I also advise clients on construction contracts and project structuring and other transactional matters relating to construction projects. I have acted on domestic and international construction disputes arising out of energy, resources and infrastructure projects in the Asia-Pacific region.
I was co-head of international arbitration at King and Wood Mallesons and was also a partner in King & Spalding, a leading American energy and arbitration firm with whom he practiced in construction and international arbitration from Singapore. I was also a partner with Pinsent Masons Australia practicing in arbitration and litigation in major resource projects.
I have also consistently rated in publications in construction law and arbitration, both domestic and international, as one of the most highly regarded practitioners in these disciplines in the region. I am familiar with the legal requirements and practices in domestic and international arbitration having been involved in more than 300 arbitrations to date. My particular expertise is in construction, infrastructure, mining resources, energy, real property, insurance and general commercial disputes.
I have also published and lectured extensively, both in Australia and throughout the region, on areas to do with construction and infrastructure, resources, energy, alternative dispute resolution (arbitration and mediation) and general commercial matters and is a former adjunct Professor of Law at Murdoch University. I am a former lecturer in the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Graduate Diploma in International Arbitration, has lectured in the Masters in Construction Law at Melbourne University and has a very extensive general commercial and construction practice.
● Fellow, Graded Arbitrator and Accredited Mediator, Resolution Institute
● Fellow, Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
● Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
● Member of SIAC, AIAC, ACICA, NZDRC
● Resolution Institute Panel of Arbitrators
● HKIAC List of Arbitrators
● Former Director and Vice President of the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
● Former Vice President, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Australian Chapter)
● Member of Law Council of Australia, Construction and Infrastructure Law Committee and former National Chairman
● International Law Briefing Group and ADR Committee, Law Institute of Victoria
● Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
● Former Member of Building Disputes Practitioners Society and the Society of Construction Law.
I really enjoy assisting the parties in crafting dispute resolution processes for large commercial disputes which are not too restrictive and prescriptive but still allow a party a fair opportunity to present its case without the cost and formality of a court process.
Banking and Finance (Insurance)
Common law and professional regulation (Negligence, Professional negligence, Torts)
Corporate and commercial(Contracts, Energy resources mining, Joint Ventures, Misleading and deceptive conduct/fraud, Partnership)
Property, construction, environment, oil, gas and mining (Building and construction, Commercial leasing, Compulsory acquisition, Environmental regulation, Oil gas and mining, Property, Restrictive covenants, Town planning)